Skip to Main Content

J-1 Academic Training

Academic Training (AT) is an authorization to work off-campus either during or after your J-1 program. You can participate in AT during and/or immediately after your J-1 academic program. You must have a written job offer to apply for AT and you can’t begin work until AT has been authorized through the Center for Global Education.


Eligibility for AT

  • J-1 status
  • Main purpose in the US is to study (not work)
  • Good academic standing
  • Valid job offer directly related to your field of study in the US
  • Unexpired DS-2019 issued by Boise State University
  • Maintain health insurance throughout the entire period of AT
  • Apply by the appropriate deadlines
  • Exchange students may also require the approval of their home institution

Time Limits & Important Dates

It is important to apply early because AT can only be authorized before your DS-2019 ends. You should submit your completed AT application to CGE at least 2 weeks before your DS-2019 end date.  Any post-completion AT also has to start within 30 days of your DS-2019 program end date.

Exchange students are eligible for AT for the same amount of time as their J-1 academic program. For example, if your J-1 study program is 90 days, then you are eligible for 90 days of AT. Please note that other time limits might apply.

AT can be part-time during your academic program (up to 20 hours per week).  Post-completion AT can be full time.  Any AT used during your academic program is deducted from AT available after your program.

Other Important Information

Payment: AT can be paid or unpaid. You may need to show additional financial resources to cover living expenses if your position will not be paid or the salary is low

Health Insurance: You must maintain appropriate health insurance for you and your J2 dependents throughout your study and your AT

Travel outside the US: You must obtain the AT authorization before you leave the US

Contact details: You must continue to update your address and contact information with CGE throughout your AT period

Additional Employment: AT is an employer-specific authorization. If you change jobs then your will need a separate AT authorization before you begin the new job

Home Residency Requirements: AT and DS-2019 extensions can affect your application for a waiver of the 212(e) home residency requirement

How To Apply for Academic Training

Submit all documents to the Center for Global Education at least 2 weeks before your DS-2019 end date, and at least 2 weeks before your anticipated job start date.

  1.  Find a suitable position related to your program of study.
  2.  Get a letter from your employer, written on official letterhead and with a handwritten signature. The letter should contain the following information:
      Job title
      Brief description of job duties
      Brief description of goals and objectives of your training or employment
      Name, title and contact information for supervisor
      Job site location (full address)
      Dates of employment (start date and end date)
      Number of hour per week
      Compensation information (salary, benefits)
  3.  Submit a copy of the approved Boise State Internship application and register for internship credits (required only for AT during your J1 academic program). Information on how to complete the application is listed on the Career Services website:
  4.  Submit a completed AT Academic Advisor Recommendation Form (required for all AT)
  5. Submit additional financial support documents (if required)
  6. If you don’t have a social security number then you will need to apply for a number after your AT is approved.  Make sure you submit a Letter Request Form to the ISS office asking for a Social Security letter.  ISS will provide you with a support letter and detailed instructions on the location of the Social Security office and how to apply.  If you already have a Social Security Number then you do not need to apply for a new one.


Student working