Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is immigration terminology for “Internship”
CPT allows a student to work off-campus for a specified amount of time in a position related to his/her field of study.
- Student must be in F1 status
- Student must have completed at least 2 semesters in the University
- Internship must be directly related to student’s academic program
- Student must receive university credit for the internship
- Student must have CIS authorization through ISS prior to employment
- CPT must be part-time (20 hours or less) while school is in session. During summer and winter breaks, CPT may be full-time.
- Find an internship opportunity through the Career Center or your academic department.
- Obtain a signed job offer letter from the employer on official letterhead with a detailed internship/job description, including internship site location and hours per week.
- Complete the Boise State Internship Application Internship Application and receive approval from your department.
- Have your academic advisor complete the Advisor Verification Form.
- Bring the completed Advisor Verification Form, a copy of the approved Boise State Internship Application Form, and the offer letter from your internship employer to ISS.
- Wait for a confirmation e-mail from ISS before you begin your employment.
Please keep in mind, we cannot approve your CPT until your internship credit is added to your class schedule.
ISS cannot approve your CPT until your internship credit is added to your class schedule.
Approval of CPT extension may be granted only if your academic advisor confirms the academic necessity for an extension and the extension meets immigration requirements. CPT extensions are granted for one additional semester. Simply wanting to gain continued experience may not meet the extension requirements. CPT cannot be used as a means to continue employment.
If you have already completed the required number of hours to earn the internship credit(s) you registered for and have completed the learning objective, CPT cannot be extended.
To be approved for an extension:
- Have your academic advisor complete the Advisor Verification Form (CPT Extension)
- Obtain a signed updated job offer letter from the employer on official letterhead with a stated internship end date.
- Bring these forms to the ISS Office or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 10 business days before your current CPT end date.
Please contact Ruth Prince at email@example.com or 208-426-3720 with any questions.