Global Learning Opportunities invites Boise State faculty and professional staff members to apply for scholarship funding to participate in the University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC) sponsored study abroad program for language study.
The Faculty International Development Awards (FIDA) offers faculty and professional staff to experience living abroad as a education abroad student FIDA participants will participate in summer language programs as students. No previous language study is required. There is an expectation that recipients will assist with the promotion of study abroad upon their return to campus. FIDAs give brown bag presentations about their experiences during International Education Week every fall. They also attend the annual study abroad fair (held in September) and meet with interested students about their experiences. FIDAs regularly invite the education abroad advisor to speak in staff meetings and visit classes to promote study abroad to students, faculty and staff.
FIDAs will be available for the following USAC programs:
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- France (June only)
This award allows faculty and professional staff to participate as a student for a one month-long summer session. In addition, the grant provides a waiver of program tuition and field trips. Due to the high flight of airfares from the United States, a tiered system of cost reimbursements has been established.
- Grant: tuition waiver and field trips included in the program plus the following:
- FIDAs to Western Europe, South America, Africa, and Asia will receive the cost of round trip airfare. However, the reimbursed airfare amount will not exceed the amount established by USAC as the maximum amount for group flights to that location.
- Applicants to Central America will receive a $1,200, award to be used for to be used for airfare, housing, insurance, optional tours, additional course costs, or travel expenses are not included in the waiver, but the grant can be used towards them.
- Additional expenses are the responsibility of the recipient. Family members or domestic partners may join participants at the end of the program. All course, travel and housing expenses of family members or domestic partners are the responsibility of the scholarship recipient.
- To learn more about the USAC programs sites and course offerings visit the University Studies Abroad Consortium website.
Instructions and Application for Summer 2019
Applicants must be Boise State faculty members or professional staff. Preference is given to applicants with limited experience living abroad. Please submit your FIDA Application to Global Learning Opportunities, by Friday, November 16, 2018 at 5 pm. If you have any questions please contact Corrine M. Henke, firstname.lastname@example.org (208) 426-4045
FIDA Recipients 2018
Congratulations to the 2018 recipients! They will be blogging about their experiences here.
FIDA recipients are:
- Ryan Brevik, TRIO programs, San Sebastian, Spain
- Stephanie Cox, English, Lyon, France
- Meghan Holton, Admissions office, Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Monica Hubbard, Public Policy, Viterbo, Italy