Mobile Menu

Broncos Abroad

Temple Runner

This week I have been finishing my final class projects/assignments and continuing to explore Chiang Mai before I jet off to some other Thai cities this weekend. My class visited the Warorot market this week, which is a local market that sells food, fresh flowers, clothing, fresh meat/fish (made my stomach churn), shoes, etc. It was less of a touristy market and it was cool to see how the local Thai people do their shopping every day.

Warorot market

Warorot market souvenirs

Fresh flowers at Warorot market

Warorot market fabric

Warorot market

While we were in the Warorot market area, we visited some Chinese temples (not Buddhist)! They had so many beautiful colors and it was fun to see a different culture represented in Chiang Mai, too.

Chinese temple

Chinese temple

Chinese temple

Chinese temple

I had the opportunity to have lunch with the Resident Director of the Chiang Mai USAC program, Jum, yesterday! We went to a local Japanese restaurant and it was delicious! I have never had true Japanese food and it did not disappoint. My chopstick skills could definitely use some improvement, though :)

After class, my friends and I have been taking the taxis (only cost $1!!) to the Old City area and have been walking around to visit new temples, get dinner and enjoy massages. Yesterday, we visited some of my favorite temples so far!

Wat Kuankama

Wat Kuankama

Wat Lok Moli

Wat Lok Moli

Wat Lok Moli

Wat Rajamontean

Wat Rajamontean

Ganesh

Monk statues at Wat Lok Moli

One of the most unique experiences I’ve had in Chiang Mai is when we are in the Old City area, the national anthem is played twice a day and you must stop immediately when it is played on loud speakers across the city. You could be walking through the market (often where I am when I hear it) and the Thai people, tourists, etc. all stand with their hands at their side until the anthem is over. It always catches me off guard, but is a fun part of Thai culture that I appreciate. :)

We have 1 more day of class before I’m done with my session! I’m excited to visit Chiang Rai, Krabi, and Mae Kampong during my final week in Thailand! Time has flown!!

This entry was posted in Meghan Holton. Bookmark the permalink.